MARK TWAIN once wrote: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
MY MOTTO IS "EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER."
I WANT TO Explore, Dream and Discover as much as possible in my life here on earth, and I want my Web sites to empower, equip and incite others to do the same.
I WANT TO help folks to find something new and exciting to do and experience. That's why I formed my charitable organization and named it the "Community Action Team"— a name that I feel encompasses all the varied activities and events that I have (and will continue to) organized for the good of our community.
WHAT CAN I DO to help you explore your potential, make a dream come true or discover new frontiers? I hope to hear from you.
THE MAIN PURPOSE of the Community Action Team (CAT) is to promote social well-being among the general public. As a 501c3 nonprofit corporation governed by a board of directors, contributions to CAT are tax deductible and are used to help produce quality events within our community that benefit children, animals, and the environment.
C.A.T. IS AN UMBRELLA organization that includes
4Halloween Kids' Costume Contest
4July 4 Kids' Bike Parade
4Haute Dog Poetry Contest
4Interfaith Blessing of the Animals
4$1,000 National Elementary School Spelling Bee
4Nat'l Adult Spelling Bee
4Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest
4Haute Dogs on the Beach events
4Haute Dog Howl'oween Parade
4Operation Easter Basket
4Operation Santa Paws
45k/10k Long Beach Turkey Trot
4monthly 30-Minute Beach Cleanups
4Beds, Bikes, Bears & Blankets giveaway to those in need
4Clothing giveaways to the underserved
4Bulldog Beauty Contest
4Say, "Cheese" Long Beach 24-hr. digital photo contest
42nd Street Walkers
4Long Beach Giving Project
I AM A FIRM believer in the collective power of individuals joined in a spirit of goodwill and generous giving to bring about the success of a community.
JUSTIN'S FAVORITE RESTAURANTS IN BELMONT SHORE
- Le Creperie - I order West Indies Chicken or the Chopped Salad with no dressing, and with the cheese and bacon on the side. For dessert, try a crepe with Grand Marnier and Nutella (this crepe is not on the menu) a la mode. And, they have good bread.
- Bono's - try the rigatoni con carne.
- Magic Lamp - I order the chicken tawook plate with spicy hummus (no oil) and fattoush.
- Buona Gente - My favorite is not on the menu. Ask for meat ravioli with meat sauce and a side of steamed vegetables. Also, their minestrone soup is the best I've ever had.
- Lucille's BBQ - I order the BBQ chicken brest from the kids menu with two sides of vegetables. Good biscuits, too.
- BJ's Pizza - I like their thin-crust appetizer pizza with sausage, and a chocolate chip "pazooki" for dessert.
- Taco Surf - I like the chicken quesadilla.
- Jack in the Box - Definitely the #15 combo with regular fries.
Form dough in to golf ball-size balls and place on an ungreased sheet of aluminum foil on top of a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes, or until bottoms of cookies are golden brown. Do not overcook. TIP: place unused golf ball-sized dough balls in a zip lock freezer bag until you are ready for some more cookies on another day. Dough can be frozen for several weeks. Goes best with a super-cold glass of nonfat cow's milk.
JUSTIN'S FAVORITE RESTAURANTS AWAY FROM BELMONT SHORE
- Claim Jumper - the best service/value in town! My overall favorite restaurant in the city.
- Enrique's - I like the sea bass with broccoli and rice. Great french fries, too! They have the best salsa in town.
- Pick Up Stix - the house chicken with steamed white rice is a great lunch.
- Tracht's - for a special occasion, this downtown restaurant is so very tasty. I like the pot roast and mashed potatoes and chocolate or butterscotch pudding for dessert. Be prepared with $$ for the bill.
- Chick-fil-A - nothing beats an original chicken sandwich, waffle fries and sweet tea with lemon for lunch! And, their chicken biscuits are awesome. Wish they were closer to Belmont Shore. It's about a 15-minute drive up the 605 Fwy. in the Long Beach Town Center.
- Famous Dave's BBQ - the Georgia pork plate with fries and baked beans are my choice. Their sweet tea is most like what I grew up with in Alabama. What I don't like is their parking situation.
JUSTIN'S FAVORITE PODCASTS
I listen to two podcasts on my daily 4- to 5-mile runs:
- Joel Osteen
- TODAY Show (NBC)
JUSTIN'S FAVORITE MUSIC
Soft rock, country and Christmas. Some musicians he currently enjoys are Karen Carpenter, Josh Groban, Russell Watson, Elton John, Celine Dion and Sandi Patty. He also likes 70's disco.
JUSTIN'S FAVORITE THING TO COOK
Actually, I only cook one thing: chocolate chip cookies. Otherwise, I don't cook at all, and eat out every meal with my partner Ralph, usually with our bulldogs Rosie and Riley on 2nd St.
JUSTIN RUDD'S FAMOUS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (since 1993)
2 cups butter, room temp.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups dark brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temp.
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
5 cups oatmeal (ground fine after measuring)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
Mix all ingredients together, then add:
24 oz chocolate chips
8 oz hershey bar grated
3 cups pecans (ground fine after measuring)
5 BACK TO TOP OF PAGE