MARK TWAIN once wrote: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
MY MOTTO IS "EXPLORE. DREAM. DISCOVER."
I WANT TO Explore, Dream and Discover as much as possible in my life here on earth, and I want my Web sites to empower, equip and incite others to do the same.
I WANT TO help folks to find something new and exciting to do and experience. That's why I formed my charitable organization and named it the "Community Action Team"— a name that I feel encompasses all the varied activities and events that I have (and will continue to) organized for the good of our community.
WHAT CAN I DO to help you explore your potential, make a dream come true or discover new frontiers? I hope to hear from you.
Yours truly, Justin Rudd!
THE MAIN PURPOSE of Justin's Community Action Team (CAT) is to promote social well-being among the general public. As a 501c3 nonprofit corporation governed by a board of directors, contributions to CAT are tax deductible and are used to help produce quality events within our community that benefit children, animals, and the environment.
C.A.T. IS AN UMBRELLAorganization that includes 4Halloween Kids' Costume Contest
4July 4 Kids' Bike Parade
4Haute Dog Poetry Contest
4Interfaith Blessing of the Animals
4$1,000 National Elementary School Spelling Bee
4Nat'l Adult Spelling Bee
4Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest 4Haute Dogs on the Beach events
4Haute Dog Howl'oween Parade
4Operation Easter Basket
4Operation Santa Paws
45k/10k Long Beach Turkey Trot
4monthly 30-Minute Beach Cleanups
4Beds, Bikes, Bears & Blankets giveaway to those in need 4Clothing giveaways to the underserved 4Bulldog Beauty Contest 4Mom Prom 4Say, "Cheese" Long Beach 24-hr. digital photo contest 42nd Street Walkers 4Long Beach Giving Project 440-Day Challenge 4Red High Heels Walk
I AM A FIRM believer in the collective power of individuals joined in a spirit of goodwill and generous giving to bring about the success of a community.
2. Justin founded and directs the 501c3 non-profit organization called the Community Action Team (CAT). He puts on about 62 community events, contests, and programs annually.
3. He has a business degree from Samford University -- a private, liberal arts, Southern Baptist school in Birmingham, AL.
4. Justin received the 2004 Outstanding Young Californian award presented by the California Jaycees Foundation.
5. He orchestrated the community candlelight vigil that was organized in only 48 hours and brought an estimated 5,000 people to Long Beach's World Trade Center the Friday following Sept. 11, 2001. Ten years later, in 2011, he organized a 10-year anniversary walk/vigil.
6. He lived the first 26 years of his life in Southeast Alabama (near Florida and Georgia). He was born and raised in the town of Ozark (spelled backwards is KRAZO), population 13,000.
7. He has lived in California since 1995.
8. He was elected and served as class president all four years of high school and his senior year in college.
9. Was in Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity in college and was elected Brother of the Year his junior year. He also served as social chairman, secretary and v.p.
10. Elected Homecoming King by the student body his senior year in college.
11. Helps women to prepare for pageant interviews (including Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, Miss America, Mrs. America, Mrs. United States, Mrs. International, and more). Every week he e-mails pageant practice questions to approx. 5,000 women around the world. subscribe
12. Sometimes people tell him he looks like Peter Krause from Six Feet Under.
13. Sleeps with the noise and air circulation of an air conditioner fan on high.
14. At age 5, he broke his femur (bone that runs from the knee to the hip) when his bike slid on a pile of leaves on the family's steep driveway. Was in a body cast and in traction in the hospital when he turned 6 years old. During recovery, his family pushed him around in a green wheelbarrow.
15. On Feb. 9, 2005 Justin received the statewide Environmental Volunteer of the Year Award presented by Keep California Beautiful.
16. He graduated fifth (of 219) in his class from Carroll High School in Ozark, Alabama, in 1987. He was president of the National Honor Society; received top subject matter awards for musical theatre and choral music; was in Mu Alpha Theta (math honor society), the Spanish honor society, Key Club, Fellowship of Christian Students, madrigal singers, and Future Business Leaders of America; took all honors and AP classes that were offered; and was founder and president of the Bleacher Screechers pep club.
17. Events and activities he has organized have been featured on every Los Angeles-area TV station and the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, the TODAY Show, Fox News, CN8, the BBC, US News & World Report, PARADE Magazine, IN magazine, Blade magazine, Elle, Los Angeles magazine, Parenting OC, LA Parent, Orange Coast magazine, Coastal Living, LN, Long Beach magazine, AAA Westways magazine, Dog Fancy, Fido Friendly, DogFriendly.com, BARK magazine, Reuters, Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion magazine, Northwest Airlines World Traveler magazine, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Orange County Register and every local paper, radio and cable station in the Long Beach area.
18 He has driven every inch of Interstate 10 from the Atlantic to the Pacific — a few times.
21 He does not drink alcohol or do drugs. Never has.
22 Each year, In conjunction with the 40 days of Lent, Justin gives up at least four foods or food groups (i.e. sweets, fried foods, pizza, and hamburgers). He recruits hundreds to join him.
23 Justin made it to the final 18 for season two of a reality show, "King of the Jungle" on Animal Planet and was seen on the casting special.
24. He very rarely goes to the movies, but in the past few years has seen:
Enchanted, Knocked Up, The Interpreter, Monster In Law, Meet the Fockers, The Incredibles, Polar Express, Something's Got to Give, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2, The Aviator, Up, the Fantastic Mr. Fox, Rio, and Ice Age 4. Has not seen Titanic or Avatar.
25 He doesn't watch TV, but never misses a televised beauty pageant.
26 He drove a 60-passenger school bus for three years during college.
27 He gets more than 100 e-mail messages a day, on average, not including spam or Facebook messages.
28 He does not have a cell phone. Never has had one.
29 Appeared in "the mob" of 1 vs. 100 on NBC in Dec., 2006.
30 Runs 3-5 miles each day. Has run a marathon, THREE 1/2 marathons (most recently the Long Beach 1/2 Marathon in Oct., 2011 with a 7:30/min. pace), six triathlons, several of the 10K Mud Runs, and numerous 5K and 10K races. Finished 35th (2,000+ runners), and 8th in his age group at the 10K Mud Run at Camp Pendleton June, 2003. Time: 55:12.
31 Was the hand double for Jim Carey in the movie Liar, Liar.
32 Doesn't wear jewelry or watches.
33 Was a K-12 substitute school teacher for the Long Beach Unified School District for two years.
34 When he first moved to Long Beach, Justin washed cars, cut grass, and cleaned offices and toilets to make extra money.
35 He sang for Disney at the world premiers of Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan.
36 Was a Dickens' Caroler and a singing sergeant in the Toy Story show at Disneyland.
37 Has performed at the Hollywood Bowl, the Super Dome, Las Vegas, Disneyland and the El
Capitan Theater in Hollywood.
38 Has signed his name with an exclamation point (Justin!) since middle school when he saw a contestant from California, Kellie Foster Moore!, in the Miss Teen USA pageant sign her name with an an exclamation point across the TV screen.
39 Pet peeves are telemarketing, roadside and beach litter, smokers who throw cigarette butts on the ground, and drivers who don't use turn signals and/or needlessly use their horn.
40 Has had his identity stolen three times with credit card fraud.
41 Has read The Bible from cover to cover.
42 He eats out every night and has cooked at home only a few times.
47 His parents, brother, three sisters and both grandmothers still live close to where he grew up in southeast Alabama. He has six nieces and three nephews. His fraternal twin Jason lives in Dothan, Alabama, and was a two-time city councilman.
48 His favorite genres of music are soft rock, country and Christmas. Some musicians he currently enjoys are Karen Carpenter, Josh Groban, Russell Watson, Elton John, Celine Dion, Long Beach Caravn Trio and Sandi Patty. He also digs 70's disco.
49 His favorite Long Beach restaurants are Nick's on 2nd, Claim Jumper, KPasta, Enrique's, and Open Sesame.
50 He taught body sculpting classes at the Belmont Athletic Club in Belmont Shore for more than 10 years and now is a substitute instructor there. He has been a certified group fitness instructor with the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA).
51 He has traveled in Brazil, Zambia, Zimbabwe, London, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein. Aisle seat, please. He took a 16-day service trip to Uganda and Kenya in July/August, 2012. And, spent 18 days in Kenya in the summer of 2013. He'll run a distance event with Kenyans on Oct. 5, 2014 in a rural town outside Nairobi.
52 For 11 years, he taught "Sand Challenge" Beach Boot Camp classes every Sat. and most Sundays (and many Wednesdays).
60 Justin sends out many free e-newsletters (dog lovers, kids, pageant hopefuls, beach cleanup, fitness enthusiasts) to more than 43,000 unique subscribers. subscribe
61 He led an effort that allowed, for the first time in more than 30 years, dogs to play on a city beach on Sunday, June 24, 2001. He also spearheaded the establishment of a daily leash-free dog beach in Long Beach that began Aug. 1, 2003. The area is now called Rosie's Dog Beach, after his bulldog Rosie that inspired its creation.
63 His nickname in college was "For You" — short for his freshman class presidential campaign slogan: "This Rudd's For You" (a takeoff of the Budweiser commercial, This Bud's for You). Currently, his partner calls him "Smiley."
64 His favorite instruments to listen to are the cello, French horn, oboe, pipe organ, piano and the triangle.
65 He has a slight Southern accentand sometimes says phrases like "fixin' to" and "all ya'll."
66 He doesn't care for marshmallows, eggs, lollipops, most candy bars, sushi, rare meat, coconut or walnuts.
67 He has a motorcycle license and a silver-colored Aprilia Scarabeo 250cc scooter that can go approx. 80 MPH and is freeway legal.
68 He Is 6'1, 190, blue eyes, brown hair, athletic build.
69. At Samford University he sang "second bass" four years in the a cappella choir.
70. He is a Christian and loves Jesus. He's part of a prayer chain.
71. He has a pink dot at the bottom of his driver license. CLICK
72 Red Bull sent Justin to Rio after he hosted the U.S.A. preliminary to find a sand runner to participate in the international "Giants of Rio" competition. SEE PHOTOS from his Dec. 2004
77 His favorite dessert is the Pizookie (pizza-pan-baked, warm chocolate chip cookie) with vanilla bean ice cream from BJ's Pizza. Or, is it the warm butter caker from Nick's? 78 He admires Jesus Christ, Sandi Patty, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Joel Osteen, Oprah, Ellen, positive thinkers, people who smile, people who give, those who serve, those who volunteer and single parents.
81 In high school he represented his school at Boys State, was selected as Good Citizenship Boy, played percussion in the band, sang in the choir and was the lead actor and student director in school musicals.
82 His name was on the ballot for District 3 City Council for the election on April 11, 2006. He decided not to campaign and did not win.
83 He rarely eats pasta. When he moved to Los Angeles and didn't have much money, he ate spaghetti a few times a day, every day.
84 Sometimes the local papers say things about Justin! READ STORIES
85 Justin and his bulldog Rosie were featured on an episode of HGTV's Going Home as they traveled home to Ozark in 2001 to celebrate his birthday with his twin.
86 Justin and his late bulldog Rosie were on a game show on Animal Planet. It was called You Lie Like a Dog, and was developed to raise money for animal charities. Together, over the years, they helped to raise more than $l million for charities.
88 Loves the chicken strips combo from Jack in the Box.
89 He feeds wild birds and squirrels.
90 On Dec. 20, 2006, Justin was interviewed live on FOX NEWS CHANNEL on the Fox & Friends show, following Donald Trump's announcement to not fire the current Miss USA Tara Conner. Justin's client was Miss Calif. USA Tamiko Nash, the 1st Runner-up to Miss USA 2006, who was expected to take over the crown.
91 He wrote the "Haute Dog" column in the Grunion Gazette from May 2005 - May 2007.
92 Some of the live performances that Justin has seen include Diana Ross, Dolly Parton, Amy Grant, Sandy Patti, Janet Jackson, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Celine Dion, Alan Jackson, Little Big Town, KC & the Sunshine Band, Olivia Newton-John, Alison Krauss, Sting, Barry Manilow, Cher, Cindi Lauper, Donna Summer, Gloria Estefan, Jason & DeMarco, Jessica Simpson, Harry Connick Jr., John Tesh, Josh Groban, Kathi Trocolli, Kool & the Gang, LeAnn Rimes, Vanessa Williams, Maureen McGovern, Martina McBride, Michael Buble, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Tina Turner, Lee Ann Rimes, and Tony Bennett.
93 He received the Outstanding Environmental Achievement Award from the EPA in 2005.
94 Justin ran the Long Beach 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles) in 2007 and 2011 and finished with the same finish time of 1 hour 37 minutes -- or a 7:26/mile pace. That's 218th out of 6,026 runners in 2007/ and 324th place in 2011 with 10,715 finishers!
97 He listens to podcasts every day when he runs. Currently, he listens to the TODAY Show, Joel Osteen, Grammar Girl, and also listens to county music radio at 105.1.
Not a fan of group meetings, committees or early mornings.
99 Broke his leg when he was 4 years old and ended up in a body cast and traction at Southeast General in Dothan, Ala.
100 Ran 120+ miles within two weeks for a run/walk challenge hosted by The Belmont Athletic Club in May, 2011.
101 Ran every every public street in Long Beach by completing 5-12 miles daily during 161 runs from May 7, 2013, to Jan. 12, 2014. That's 1,006 miles (equivalent of more than 38 marathons in just over 8 months).
102 He's been with his partner, Ralph Millero, for 11 years.
Sign up for Justin's Email Newsletters
APPROX. 6,000 runners and walkers took part in the 8th annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5K/10K in Long Beach, Calif., to raise funds for Justin's 501c3 Community Action Team (C.A.T.).
GROWING UP IN THE ALAMABA COUNTRYSIDE, Justin Rudd preferred horses to dogs. Then, after moving to Long Beach he adopted Rosie, an English bulldog, and his fate was sealed. Today, Rudd is known for the Haute Dog Easter and Howl'oween parades, annual events that draw as many as 700 dogs... FULL STORY
Justin's Favorite Things
SEE JUSTIN'S FAVORITE PLACES TO EAT IN BELMONT SHORE -- AND ALL OF LONG BEACH: CLICK HERE
JUSTIN RUDD PHOTOGRAPHY.Dogs and people on the beach at sunset. MORE PHOTOS.